The Grascals – Before Breakfast
Label: Mountain Home Music Company
Before Breakfast, the spirited new album from The Grascals, finds the bluegrass band at a career high point (including three Grammy nominations and two Entertainer of the Year awards from the International Bluegrass Music Association), and I certainly won’t be alone in hailing the band’s infectious energy and distinctive sound. That “sound,” of course, is all around excellence, with each song, each musician, each note, even each pause, as strong as the next. The Grascals, who have developed a knack for delivering a refreshing blend of contemporary and traditional sounds, have released a 12-song collection that sets a new bar of high expectations for all their output from now on.
Thanks to The Grascals, it’s an exciting time again to love bluegrass music. The genre can always use more fans (especially since today what passes for country music has all but left behind rural values behind), and The Grascals will please anyone with a desire for true mountain music. These are harmony-filled songs, performed with wit and wisdom, that sing of life and truth. . . and it just doesn’t get any better.
The group features founders Terry Eldredge (lead vocals, guitar), Terry Smith (lead vocals, bass) and Danny Roberts (mandolin), plus longtime banjo ace Kristin Scott Benson, fiddler Adam Haynes and John Bryan (lead vocals/guitar).
Essential Downloads: “Sleepin’ With The Reaper,” “Lonesome,” “Pathway Of Teardrops,”
Before Breakfast Track Listing:
- “Sleepin’ With The Reaper” (B. Buller/G. Williams)
- “Demons” (B. Anderson/J. Randall)
- “Delia” (J. Weisberger/C. Chamberlain/C. Humphrey III)
- “I’ve Been Redeemed” (M. Dylan/R. Edwards)
- “Lonesome” (B. Smith/T. Smith)
- “Beer Tree” (H. Allen/R. E. Orrall)
- “Pathway Of Teardrops” (W. P. Walker/W. Pierce/J. Hazlewood)
- “Lynchburg Chicken Run” (D. Roberts/A. Haynes)
- “He Took Your Place” (L. Flatt/E. Scruggs)
- “Lost And Lonesome” (P. Overstreet/ B. Smith)
- “There Is You” (K. Harrigill)
- “Clear Corn Liquor” (T. Stafford/B.Starnes)
To preview or purchase this album on iTunes, click here.